Jan Hartman, CV
1. Personal data
Jan Hartman, born on 18th March, 1967, in Wrocław (Breslau), Poland. Married
to Barbara Hartman since 1989. One daughter, Zofia, born in 1998.
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Education and academic career
· Full Professor of Humane Sciences (since 2008). Head of the Department
of Philosophy and Bioethics, Jagiellonian University Medical College (since
· Employed as academic lecturer and researcher in the Jagiellonian
University of Kraków, since 1994. Originally appointed Assistant Professor
in the Institute of Philosophy, then (since February, 1995) Assistant
Professor in the Department of Philosophy and Bioethics of the Jagiellonian
University, and next (since October 1995) – Associate Professor in the
· I followed doctoral studies in the period 1990-1994, and simultaneously
taught courses at the Institute of Philosophy, since 1992. My doctoral
degree (1995) was based on the work The Problems of Philosophical
Heuristics (published in 1997), completed by the supervision of my Prof.
Władysław Stróżewski . I was given my upper academic degree (“habilitation”,
Dr. Habil.) in 2001, by the Jagiellonian University, on the basis of the
book The Techniques of Metaphilosophy.
· In the period 1985-1990, I studied philosophy at the Philosophy
Department of the Catholic University of Lublin (Katolicki Uniwersytet
Lubelski), Poland. I graduated from this university presenting the
Master Degree thesis on Roman Ingarden’s philosophy (Tutor: Prof. A. Krąpiec).
The study was published in 1993.
3. Editorial work and social activities
· In 1989, I founded the philosophical periodical of the Jagiellonian
University Principia, and have been serving as Editor in Chief till
present. 58 volumes have been issued so far.
· Between 1997 and 2007, I have been a partner and editor in the
scholarly Publishers Aureus, issuing mainly philosophical works.
· In 1993, I became the founding member of Deutsch-Polnische
Akademische Gesellschaft (DPAG). Now I am a Vice-President of this
· 2003-2009 I was a member of the Polish Academy of Sciences
· Since 2003 I have been the President of the Scientific Council of the
Institute of Nursing, Jagiellonian University.
· Since 2010 I work for several advisory boards in the Ministries of
Health, of Science and the Ministry of Environment.
· Since 2003 I have been active as a journalist and columnist of some
major Polish newspapers and weeklies (i.e. “Polityka”).
· Since 2011 I have been active in politics, mostly as a chief of the
Political Council of Twój Ruch (Your Turn) social-liberal party.